City funding pays only a portion of the New Orleans Public Library’s operating expenses. Since 1957, the Friends of the New Orleans Public Library (FNOPL) has underwritten vital programming, including literacy campaigns, summer reading and writing and skill building workshops. Our financial support and the work of FNOPL volunteers bridge the gap where city funding ends.
- By year’s end, FNOPL will have have contributed $70,000 to fund library programs, adult literacy classes, grants to individual Orleans branches and facility improvements.
- FNOPL donated 200,000 books this year to senior centers, schools, prisons, shelters, military families and LSU Children’s Hospitals.
- We awarded $7,000 in scholarships to 7 local librarians who serve the public.
- More than 15,000 children, teens, and adults participated in the 2019 Summer Fun and Reading Program.
- More than 70,000 Orleans Parish residents benefit from NOPL library programs annually.
We need your support to continue underwriting library programming for our New Orleans community.
Please consider making a tax-deductible gift today:
- Become an FNOPL member
- Give the gift of membership to a friend